The main reason there are different port numbers is that the standard telnet port 23 won't work properly in Linux/Unix-based clusters, except for the standard telnet server. Port 7300 has become the de- facto choice for DX Spider clusters, but some sysops choose other ports.

Bob, N7XY
Sysop of n7xy.net, port 7300