This may be related to your problem, or possibly not. Is sounds like the
transverter is not communicating properly with the K3.

The XV series transverters use a very high value of pull up resistor on the
key lines. The K3 line is an open drain FET - or perhaps a logic line, in
any case it has no pull up to 5V. The pull up resistor is inside each XV
transverter. This pull up is AFAICR 1Meg.

I have found this can give problems, the connection needs to be very good,
other loading on the line, e.g. a KRC2 can cause strange behaviour and it is
susceptible to noise. I would recommend reducing the value of the pull up
from 1M to 10K.

Mike