I was experiencing noise on 20m CW which the DSP NB (setting 3-7) could
eliminate, but the hardware noise blanker couldn't tackle. The DSP NB could
eliminate the noise with my 1 KHz roofing filter selected, but as soon as I
reduced the DSP filter width to the point where the 400Hz roofing filter was
automatically selected, the noise came back.

It would seem from the above that the DSP NB works well when using narrow
DSP filter widths i.e. 450Hz - 1KHz under a wide roofing filter (1KHz or
greater), but not when a narrow roofing filter is selected i.e. 400Hz.

There has also been some discussion on this reflector about DSP NR not
working at narrow filter settings and I was wondering if this is because of
the automatic selection of narrow roofing filters rather than DSP filter
width?

Would it make sense to have an option in firmware to select between
automatic and manual selection of roofing filters? This would allow a wide
roofing filter to be selected i.e. 1KHz or greater when DSP NB is required,
coupled with a much narrower DSP filter width i.e. 200Hz, to help with
crowded band conditions.

I know that this is possible by using the Elecraft filter configuration
utility to ignore installed narrow roofing filter options, but I feel this
is unworkable for every day operation/conditions.

Doug
K3 #1293 K2 #4688