This really IS a minor quibble, but the QST review noted that some hams
might prefer the larger and more widely spaced buttons and knobs on "full
size" transceivers. Turns out this isn't generally correct.  By coincidence,
a couple of days ago I compared the front panel layout on my K3 and my
FT-2000D.  Here are the results:

K3:                   39 buttons, 11 knobs

FT2000D:          79 buttons, 26 knobs

(So the K3 has roughly half as many knobs and buttons as the Yaesu. What is
interesting, however, is the comparison of the knob sizes:)

Inner concentric knobs :

K3:        .50" dia

            FT2K    .46" dia

Outer concentric knobs:

            K3:       .75" dia

            FT2K    .64" dia

Single knobs:

            K3:      .56" dia

            FT2K:   .73" dia (only 3)

(Thus, in most cases, the K3's knobs are as large or larger than those in
the FT2K.)

Knob Spacing:

            K3: 1"

            FT2K 1.1"

            (No significant difference, although the different knob
groupings between the two rigs makes comparisons difficult.)

Where the FT2K outshines the K3 is in the tuning knobs, but even here the
difference is less than one might expect.

            K3:       1.9 (Main), 1.2" (Sub)

            FT2K    2.4 (Main), 1.4" (Sub)

            (The FT2K's main knob has a much higher quality feel to it than
the K3's knob, but that's another story).

Basically, the two radios are roughly equivalent as far as knob and button
sizes and spacing are concerned. There are minor differences, but nothing
substantial. What is impressive to me is how Elecraft managed to get so much
convenient functionality with so few knobs and buttons.  Admittedly, some of
the single button functions on the Yaesu are nice - especially the mode and
band buttons - but in my opinion this benefit is outweighed by the huge
number of buttons and knobs a user has to memorize.

73,

Jim W8ZR