Hi All,
I have to agree with Erik 100% on this.  After years of using the K2 I
either use the tip of my forefinger on the edge of the VFO knob to roll the
knob around, or I use it on the outer edge of the front face. Same with the
K3.  My K2 knob looks burnished from doing this.

Actually I think we should defer judgment of this subject to my cats.
Shadow has always preferred the paw on the edge of the knob when using my K2
and has never had a problem hitting the other controls.
http://www.pituch.net/Steve%27s%20Page/Radio/cat/Cat.htm

However, Bumper the kitten is doing very well with the K3, and is showing
much promise.  I was going to buy an LP Pan, but I am thinking that a cat
might be even better.
http://www.pituch.net/Pet%20Main%20Page/Pet%20Main%20Page.html

After all, Albert Einstein compared (the lack of) cats to radio:
"You see, wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull his
tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles. Do you understand
this? And radio operates exactly the same way: you send signals here, they
receive them there. The only difference is that there is no cat."

One thing I was worried about after I ordered the K3 was that when I would
read the user's manual I would fall asleep.  I sort of got the jist of how
the controls worked but really could not visualize actually operating the
radio myself without the excellent and very informative manual next to me.
It was actually a bit disconcerting as I wondered how easy the K3 would be
to use since it has so many features.  I'm not dissing the manual in any way
as I think it is excellent.  It has everything you need to know about the
K3.  But it is very hard to know how good the controls on the K3 are unless
you have one in front of you.

Well after building the radio, and building it is such an enlightening
experience, it was time to actually use it.  And that's what I did.  After I
turned it on, I started using it as if I had been familiar with it for 10
years.  Once in a while it took me a while to find a control, but I sort of
intuitively knew what control was needed.  I wasn't wasting time figuring
out how to do something.  It seems I'm just able to do it.  I guess I think
the radio is highly intuitive, although I couldn't really decide that from
reading the manual.  The K3 has become the first radio I have had that is
sort of an extension of myself.  Sort of hard to explain but I spend less
time focused on the radio front panel and more time communicating with the
signals coming out of it. In fact I often find myself not looking at the
radio during critical net control operations for many minutes at a time. Its
like no stress operating.  On difficult nets when the f0F2 is way below the
operating frequency I hear better, and while others on the net are stressing
out I am enjoying myself and the challenge.  I think that part of this is
due to Wayne's degree in Cognitive Science.  I doubted his judgment on this
initially after first reading the manual.  I thought maybe he was trying to
jam too much on the front panel.  But after operating the radio I think the
control layout is a great feature set.  I'm not a die hard contester, but I
like using the radio very much.

I think its hard to put this kind of feeling in a QST review, but I think
the reviewer (Joel, W1ZR it seems) actually did reveal his positive
enthusiasm toward the rig. I don't think I've ever read a more enthusiastic
review in QST.  In reading it, its like the messiah of radios has finally
come to hamdom.  Can't get much better than that. I think Joel realizes that
the K3 pushes the state-of-art and will make Yaecomwood work a lot harder in
the future on their designs.

My cats also prefer the layout on the K3 to all the other radios I have in
the shack.

Regards,
Steve, W2MY