Ken,

The problem is caused by the 8 volt regulator being on the low side of its specification (the spec sheet says 7.5 to 8.5 volts is OK output for the regulator - and the current batch of regulators at Aptos seem to be on the low side (they were mostly on the high side a couple years ago - but I digress).

Measure the actual voltage of your 8 volt regulator, and calculate 45% of that reading. Set the AGC Threshold to that value and all will be well.

73,
Don W3FPR

Ken Mohler wrote:
OK guys, now I need some guidance.  I'm building K2 serial number 6625.  I
am on page 48 on the manual, Setting the AGC Threshold.  I have the RF GAIN
control fully clockwise.  The highest voltage reading I can get on pin 5 of
U2 while adjusting R1 is 3.65V.  The manual calls for 3.80V.  All tests up
to this point have been completed successfully.  Any ideas or suggestions?

Your help is appreciated.

Ken
K0WKM