Dave Agsten wrote:

> Speaking of those ultra high speed CW stations, I have to wonder if they
> are in a radio contest or a computer contest? Isn't the computer doing
> most of the operating. I don't know, since having the PC run the show, as
> far as contest exchanges are concerned, is of absolutely no interest to
> me.  Does the computer copy and select the calling station? ( I have no
> idea?? ) If it does, then it really is a computer contest and not a ham
> radio contest.

In a CW contest the computer does less than in a RTTY or PSK contest. There
is no CW decoding software yet written that decodes reliably enough in the
presence of contest QRM to be used without aural conformation, or that can
decode weak signals close to the noise at all. Computers are an operating
aid, but that's all.

I have been thinking of adding a facility to my software that records the
exchange and allows it to be played back, at half speed if required. Do
other programs do that?

-----
Julian, G4ILO. K2 #392  K3 #222.
http://www.g4ilo.com/ G4ILO's Shack   http://www.ham-directory.com/ Ham