On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 1:54 PM, Julian, G4ILO <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> The one of the interesting things about using personal computers for SDR
>> is
>> imho that generally more people can take part in their development in
>> major
>> or minor ways. This is why I just recently decided to purchase the QS1R
>
> I can understand the attraction of that for hams, just as I understand the
> attraction of Linux for people interested in what makes computers work. But
> from what I have seen of open source type development the old adage about
> too many hands can spoil the broth come to mind. Like anything designed by a
> committee, it can take ages to get anything done. There is a lot to be said
> for having things developed exclusively by a dedicated and focussed team, as
> in the case of Microsoft.

In reality, most open source SDR software is primarily done by one or
two people, unlike more ambitious projects (by orders of magnitude)
like the Linux OS for example.  This is about as focused "team" as you
can get.  As a result, bugs are fixed and features are added very
quickly (sometime within hours of the bug being reported).

73 Phil N8VB

--
Phil Covington
Software Radio Laboratory LLC