  From: Roger Marrotte
  To: 'Lee Trout'
  Cc: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
  Sent: Sunday, December 07, 2008 4:07 PM
  Subject: RE: [Elecraft] Musings on Noise Reduction

  Lee,

  Sorry to say that I've had the exact opposite experience.  I haven't had a
K2 for a few years.  I've had a K3 since July.   I worked some in the 160m
contest this weekend and with NR on I was able to remove just about all the
noise on the band and hear stations way way down in the noise.  I never had
that experience with a K2 and I've used three different K2s.  What I
experienced this weekend with my K3 was just phenomenal.  I worked about a
dozen DX stations some as far out as the middle east.  Without NR I wouldn't
have heard them at all.  I not sure why we have had such different
experiences.  I didn't have a hard time finding a NR setting that worked.
On occasion I would hear some band noise but most of the time it virtually
went away with the NR on.  I use a full size 160m dipole up about 70'.  It's
the same antenna I used with the K2s.  Perhaps if you were using a vertical,
the noise was more severe or just different.

  Roger, W1EM