I have been trying to help a fellow list member to get Fldigi for Windows
working on his K3. I sent him my Fldigi rig control file for the K3, but it
is still not working. He has reported that KComm does not talk to the K3
either. However the Elecraft Firmware Utility works OK. This is apparently
using the Elecraft approved KUSB adapter.

At this point, I can see only two possible explanations for the problem:
1. there is a flaw in my logic for testing whether there is communication
between the software and the radio;
2. the USB to serial adapter being used is in some way incompatible with the
way KComm and Fldigi for Windows use the serial port.

1. When KComm connects to the K2 or K3 radio, it sends the command "PS;". It
expects to receive the response "PS1;" to show that there is communication
with the radio. My Fldigi control file makes the same assumption. Its
initialization string is "K22;K31;PS;" and it expects to get a "PS1;" back
to show that communication is working. Is it possible that "PS1;" could NOT
be sent back when "PS;" is sent, in some circumstances?

2. In order to determine whether Fldigi and/or KComm have a compatibility
issue with USB serial adapters we need more people who are using such
adapters and with other software (including the EFU) to try Fldigi and/or
KComm and report whether they work or not.

-----
Julian, G4ILO. K2 #392  K3 #222.
http://www.g4ilo.com/ G4ILO's Shack   http://www.ham-directory.com/ Ham
Directory    http://www.g4ilo.com/kcomm.html KComm for Elecraft K2 and K3