On 12/8/2008 10:50 AM, Bill W5WVO wrote:

Why is "micro" (10^-6) abbreviated by the Greek letter mu ?
Obviously "m" was taken already by milli, so mu, the Greek
equivalent letter of the Roman "m", was chosen. :-)

  But, but, but..... back when I became a ham (1952) in high
  school and went on to engineering school the year after, in the
  era of "cycles" (not c/sec), capacitor values (we were first
  starting to get away from the term "condensers") were specified
  in mmf (milli micro farads) instead of pico farads as done
  today.

  Inductance was always specified in Henrys, but that gave rise
  to a lot of mirth because we had an Electronics teacher named
  Henry who, when he was "having a good time" at our expense,
  would boast that the "Henry" was named after him. :-)

--  73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane
    Elecraft K2/100   s/n 5402