On Dec 8, 2008, at 11:09 AM, David Cutter wrote:

A pity our cousins from across the water are not all on board the SI express.

David
Yes, it is. And we still refer to our archaic system as the English system. We actually had a push to go metric in the mid 1800's but only got as far as changing the inch by a small enough amount to make 2.54 cm equal exactly 1 inch. It used to be based on the length of a small worm (: Even countries using the metric system don't get it right. Speed is measured in kilometers per hour. The hour is not a metric unit. It should be meters per second for traffic signs and weather reports. I worked for the local power coumpany and they are half right. They use the watt for power but the watt hour for energy, which again messes up the units for metrics. 3600 joules per watthour just doesn't get it. And every other form of energy has its own unit of measurement. Yuck. But I do what I can. I named my sailboat STORMJOULE. The dingy was ERG.

73
Rick Dettinger   K7MW as in MegaWatt (: