After installing the latest firmware, I installed the KRX3 that I just received yesterday. All went smoothly until I went to Calibrate KsYN3 (p 43 in KRX3 Manual). I keep getting ERR 00227 VCO. I also received the ERR 00228 VCO one time.

Before calling Elecraft, you could try pulling the synthesizer, check that nothing could be shorting to the shield and then reinstalling it.

After I installed my KRX3, my original synthesizer was giving me similar error codes. In an act of wild desperation, I pulled it and plugged it back in, adding two washers (one left and one right, if I remember correctly) so that it was tad further away from the shielding. Since then I have not had any more problems.

I assume that it was moved a tiny bit closer to the shielding while I installed the KRX3, bringing it close enough to make contact. The two washers I added were in the installation manual for the KRX3's VFO but not in my (early) construction manual for the basic K3 (#67).

Hope this helps.

vy 73 de toby