I have found that having roofing filters automatically track the DSP filter
width is a bad idea in a noisy environment. My noise was best tackled with
the DSP NB rather than the hardware NB (ie. DSP NB 3-7, IF OFF).

The DSP NB still worked with a 1KHz roofing filter in line, but if a
narrower roofing filter was selected (400Hz) as a result of reducing the DSP
filter width, the DSP NB action vanished, and I was left with the same
horrible audio as you are describing.

I don't understand the full picture yet, but, DSP NB and NR need a wide
roofing filter width (>= 1KHz) to work effectively. However, any narrow DSP
filter width (as long as a wide roofing filter was selected) would still
still allow DSP NB and NR to work effectively (ie. roofing filter 1KHz, dsp
filter 200Hz). The automatic selection of roofing filters makes this
combination and many others impossible to select (e.g. if you have a 400Hz
roofing filter installed) without messing about with the Elecraft Utility
software and disabling filters.

My previous post suggested having a menu item that would allow the
automatic/manual selection of roofing filters (defaulted to Automatic) to
allow for better handling of selectivity in noisy situations.

Doug GM0ELP