During a serious effort this week end in the 10 meter contest and fighting snow static I had a lot of experience with the pre-amp and snow static and the NB! We had a blizzard here all Saturday night and Sunday and a bit below zero and lots of snow blowing around so I really could only use the 5 element at just below 200 feet which was pretty much above the blowing snow. Early on when it was still dark on Sunday morning it was snowing some and even the NB did not take care of it. For those of you down south when it is cold the snow is "dry" and the snow static is much worse. Anyway I had to turn the pre-amp on and off depending on the snow static noise. Several times I was having trouble hearing people and I would notice the pre-amp was off and would turn it on and be able to copy them. Before turning the pre-amp on I had the volume really cranked up and when it was quiet I would turn the volume down and turn on the pre-amp and it definitely made a difference. What I am saying is that I could copy signals with the pre-amp on that I could not copy with the pre-amp off no matter what I did if I did not have the snow static. The bottom line is I had the pre-amp on as much as I could. For me I had more trouble with what I would called NB induced splatter than on 160M CW but I think it was a factor of the wide filter 2.8 khz and the DSP at 2.1. I tried the 1.8 filter a few times but I seemed to have trouble hearing the weak ones and when you are trying to survive it is not the time to be learning how to use your radio. We had great success using the 1.8 khz filter in SS but 10 meters with trying to copy weak signals and having someone strong right next door and using the NB and Pre-amp I just did not get it figured out how to use the 1.8 filter. I will have to try and learn this summer during the better sporadic "E" season but it is nearly impossible to simulate the 10M contest.

I have a lot of people calling me that I just can not pull out. The truth is with 1500 watts it is impossible to hear someone running a few watts if they are just barely hearing me. I am sure there were a lot that called that I did not hear and there were others I just could not copy calls, etc. I do everything I can with having quiet rcv conditions and 7/8" heliax but the heliax just makes me louder on transmit so really no help there on hearing the weak ones. Anyway last year before the K3 arrived this summer I used the FT-1000D for a number of years and previous to that a TS-950SDX and the K3 is much better on 10 meters than they were. On another note I did notice the K3 puts out full power on 10 meters which a lot of radios do not. I was amazed at how cool the K3 stays.

FWIW I operated split in the contest a lot as it is a lot easier tuning for those off frequency of which there seems to be a lot on 10 meters than using the small RIT knob. The RIT on the K3 is better than other radios I have used but going split is a lot better. Just like the FT-1000D tuning the "SUB" in the right ear is not the most "FUN" with the small knob. I see that physically there is room for a bigger knob.

Is there someway one could but your "CQ" frequency in memory and use the main knob for the "SUB". I think I am dreaming but with the firmware lots of things are possible.

For those in the NE my heart goes out to you with the "ICE". I have had ice here and it causes a lot of work to be destroyed in a short time!!!

Ed W0SD