We strongly recommend the use of an anti-static mat when doing assembly of any kit, and when working on equipment in general.

In our tests of the ESD mats we found that if we walk across the room and then touch the mat, we draw an arc. So, the mat must be conductive, though very high in resistance. To successfully reduce ESD build-up, it need only be significantly more conductive than the surrounding surfaces. This appears to be the case.

I'm going to contact one of the manufacturers to see if they test their mats in a slightly more scientific manner.

Meanwhile, please *do* purchase and use a mat. Or, at minimum, touch an unpainted, grounded metal surface occasionally as you work, especially right before handling semiconductors (diodes, transistors, ICs.). (I do both.)

73,
Wayne
N6KR

---