From: John E. Reiser [mailto:reis...@optonline.net]
Sent: Monday, December 01, 2008 4:20 PM
To: Tom Hammond; elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Cc: Jerry Liley K0GUG
Subject: RE: [Elecraft] Running an ICOM PW-1 Amp with the K3

Hi Tom,

I have been driving my Icom PW-1 with my K3 for nine months now without any
problems.  I use it for CW, SSB and digital modes.

I simply have a coax jumper between ANT1 on the K3 and Input 2 on the PW-1,
of course.  And PTT is accomplished by means of a shielded cable from Radio
Shack that has RCA plugs on each end.  I don't use any connection for ALC
with the K3.  However, I am very careful not to overdrive the amp.

Let me explain.  My "other" radio is an Icom 756 Pro 2.  It gets very little
use anymore, but I left it connected to Input 1 on the amp.  Besides a coax
jumper, the Pro 2 is connected to the amp with a special cable provided by
Icom.  The cable provides for PTT and ALC.  When one first sets up the amp,
one is instructed by the manual to calibrate the ALC.  This is accomplished
by means of a screwdriver adjustable potentiometer on the back of the amp.
The meter on the front panel of the amp has a switch-selectable ALC scale
with a red line mark at mid-scale.  The ALC is calibrated by adjusting the
pot such that the needle does not go past the red mark.

Two identical sets of input jacks and ALC-calibration-pots are provided on
the amp, for Input 1 and Input 2, respectively.  Before I connected the K3,
I calibrated the ALC on the Input 2 side using my Pro 2.  My thinking was
(correctly or not) that as long as I controlled the drive from the K3 so
that the ALC meter on the amp stayed below the calibrated red mark, all was
well.

Now, when I use the amp, I set the output of the K3 to 20 watts.  That gives
me about 600 watts out, as measured on my LP-100A watt meter.  The ALC meter
on the amp stays within the lower (leftmost) third of the scale.  The
overdrive-protection circuits in the amp have never activated.  The
difference between 600 and 1000 watts out is negligible at the receiving
end, of course.

With the Pro 2 I used to set the drive to just give me 1K out, although I
could have pushed it to 1100 or 1200 on some bands.  It took about 25 to 30
watts of drive.  Of course, with the ALC connected, the ALC never went past
the red mark on the meter.

So, bottom line, I am able to use the PW-1 with my K3 but, without ALC, I
have to be careful.  In writing this note, I'm merely sharing my own
experience, in case it can help someone.  Others may have a better solution,
perhaps using the negative-going ALC mod to the K3.

73,

John, W2GW