Burke,

Check the soldering on the encoder pins. It does sound like you have an encoder problem if some kind - maybe a bad encoder - in all the KX1s that I have built and repaired (I have not kept count, but it is not a small number), I have found only one bad encoder, but even though it is rare, it can still happen.

73,
Don W3FPR

Burke Jones wrote:
Okay gang...I have finished up part one of the build. I applied power today and all the voltages checked out fine. The LED lit up, the display worked.... until.... I hit the menu button and LED appeared on the display. Then I tried turning the VFO knob to cycle through the menus, but it would only sparodically change menus. As I turned the VFO knob, every so often, very random the display would change to another menu item. Something appears to be wrong..... I can't see any solder bridges, etc, all parts for Part One are installed. I am a complete electronics newbie, but can follow instructions well. I would love some ideas! Burke Jones
N0HYD