I would like to add a comment on removing solder from SMT via holes.  There are
three methods and the first two have been discussed.  I have found as the
technology gets better, smaller, the plated through holes also get really
small.  Like 0.020 or smaller.  Solder suckers have a very difficult time
pulling the solder up.

Let me explain, consider the mass of the solder pad on the side you are going
to apply heat.  If you get the solder liquid and don't destroy the pad, the
bottom pad, MAY be liquid and come up with the sucker type.  It works good on
larger pads but not so good as the holes get smaller.  Too much air leakage and
you are trying to pull cold solder.  Not always successful.

Using the solder braid has also the same problem as it is a heat sink and
usually requires you to put additional heat to suck the solder up.  Works great
on larger holes and traces that are large like 50 ohm strip line.

OK, so what is left?  I use a solder "pusher".  Back before someone invented
the solder sucker, we used a small hollow rubber ball with a small entrance
teflon tube that we had and it had replaceable tips of different sizes to
accommodate hole size.  This allows exact pressure of the right size on the hot
side of the PCB and "blows" hot solder out against the colder solder on the
other side and effectively cleans the hole without over heating the pad.........

>From someone who is long in the tooth,

Mel K6KBE