Gary, this question has been asked before, 24th May 2007. Eric replied with the following:

   The short answer is a 'qualified' yes. The wider FM filter can be used
   for AM transmit and receive, since the DSP limits the AM bandwidth, but
   there will be two issues.

   1. On receive you will be subject to AGC blocking (de-sense) from
   nearby
   signals inside the 13 kHz FM filter's bandwidth but outside the
   DSP's AM
   bandwidth. (Typically those over S9+20 to 30.)

   2. On transmit we will not guarantee that there will not be an increase
   in close in spurious signals inside the FM filter bandwidth. Normally
   the AM filter reduces any undesired transmit signals outside of its
   bandwidth.

   So for casual AM listening, or AM transmission on a non-crowded band
   this might be OK. But we recommend the AM filter for any regular AM
   transmit usage.

   73, Eric   WA6HHQ
   Elecraft

------------------------------

For my K3, I am thinking of getting the general coverage addition
KBPF3 and want to get a filter that works well with it so the FM
filter seems like it would be best as regards the European broadcast
setup.

I also would like to be able to transmit on AM but have no filter for
that (I presently have the 2.8, 1.0 and 250 filters installed in it).

Does having the Inrad 725 installed allow transmit on AMor essb? I
don't think it does as on the Elecraft order page it mentions an AM
filter for transmit. I'm just double checking here to make sure
before ordering an extra filter I might not need.

Thanks,
Gary
KA1J