>Setting a power control calibrated for CW and expecting that level to be
accurate for PSK31 or any other arbitrary digital modulation is complete
folly and utter hubris.

I also read another post that the K3 watt meter is an average power
responding device and there in lies a problem of setting power for an
arbitrary waveform that will not create IM products.

In the old days we could use a monitor scope to make sure we weren't
clipping. An interesting thought about a future K3 band scope is to provide
a station monitor mode...

I also wonder why the internal K3 wattmeter does not have a peak detecting
mode and set the PEP power to the requested level. That doesn't take care of
directional coupler errors but I suspect it would drop the complaint level
down 6 dB. K3 output power vs. requested power has been a continuous theme
on the reflector.

What is wrong about setting and displaying peak envelope power or at least
have the ability to switch to a peak detecting mode? It seems to me that if
we are worried about IM products when approaching PA clipping levels that
PEP is what we should be monitoring for any transmitted waveform.

Mike Scott - AE6WA
Tarzana, CA (DM04 / near LA)
K3-100 #508/ KX1  #1311