We had good success this week end in the ARRL RTTY RU with the 500 hz
roofing filter and a DSP setting of 300 hz most of the time.  At times
we went to 250 hz. and used the 250 hz roofing filter when the going
really got tough. We are talking about a serious effort to win # 1 which
we have done in the past but most years we are second or third multi-op.

You really did not say if it is for RTTY general contacts, chasing DX or
contesting? That is the key question!  If it is the first two then a 500
hz roofing filter and and use the DSP to narrow down more when wanted
would be all you need.  The 500 hz with DSP would be fine for CW as well.

If you want to contest on CW and RTTY then adding the 250 hz  roofing
filter is worth having.  For CW if you want the ultimate then also
adding the 200 khz roofing is great for contest CW and will work in a
huge pileup on RTTY even though it rolls off the edges.  We did use it a
fair amount this week end.  If you are not seriously into CW contesting
but want to do some serious RTTY contesting the most you need it the 250
hz roofing filter.

It is far two early to say but we did not seem to be able to see an
advantage to the Dual PB but like I say we tried it some and could see
no improvement and a couple of times we thought we seen it was worse so
we quit using it.  Howeverthis was a quick gut feeling decision made in
the midst of the competition so we may ultimately find it is OK.  Future
firmware updates may make it more effective.

Using two K3's in some serious contest efforts this season starting with
the IARU with a number of top 10 finishes according to unofficial
results I have to back up what has been said on the users group many
times and that is "IF" you are not in some very serious and I mean
serious contest efforts with extreme crowding and big signals there is
ABSOLUTELY no need to spend a lot of money on filters!!!  One for SSB,
the one that comes with the radio is excellent and a 500 hz roofing
filter for CW and RTTY is absolutely all you need and use the DSP! I can
guarantee this to be true!  I am of course assuming you don't want to do
FM and AM.

Ed W0SD