Many of the questions about use of extra tuners with an ATU are answered
by a review of the fundamental assumptions for the design of simple
(cheap) power and swr meters.

Most common tuners assume that the input to the tuner is 50 ohms.  The
SWR calibration is based on the ratio of reflected to forward power.  If
the input impedance is not 50 ohms then calculation of power is not
accurate because the meters are not smart enough to measure actual power
based on the true input impedance.  They indicate power based on a
voltage or current measurement. The real power will vary if the input
impedance changes.

When two tuners are used in series, such as the K3 ATU  to an MFJ* to an
amplifier, the impedance at the output of the ATU and the input to the
MFJ is rarely 50 ohms.  Only if the amplifier input is 50 ohms resistive
and the MFJ is bypassed, then the SWR indicated by the MFJ might be
close to 1 to 1 after the ATU is tuned.

However, if the amplifier input impedance is perhaps 100 ohms, then the
ATU will match the 100 ohms and the MFJ measurements will be referenced
to the 100 ohms.  The SWR based on forward and reflected power indicated
by the MFJ will not be accurate.  The forward power indicated by the MFJ
may show twice the real input power when the input termination is 100
ohms.  Power = (V squared)/R.  As you can see the indicated power
changes as the resistance changes.  The real power is not changed, just
the reference has changed and is not accounted for.

So, do not waste time reading the power at the output of an ATU unless
you know that the load is 50 ohms.  Bypass the ATU and use the MFJ and
you may get a reasonable indication on the MFJ when the transmitter
output impedance is 50 ohms.  Or delete the MFJ and use the ATU
indicators.

Now if you have a true power measuring watt meter that actually
calculates current times voltage without using the input impedance as a
reference then these measurements might be of some interest.

* MFJ is used here to represent the most commonly available SWR meters
using forward and reverse power indicators that assume a 50 ohm input
impedance including the common Bird and others.

I did not get into the additional errors introduced when the reference
is a complex impedance and not just a simple resistance.  True power is
based only of the resistive part of the impedance.  So again the error
is compounded with the simple P=(I squared) times R approach

Aloha,
John KH7T