Keith:

The trick I've used for decades is to set the sidetone just a bit louder than
those signals I'm listening to.  Then, when I zero the received signal, I tune
it in to the point that it (audibly) "disappears" beneath the sidetone of the
same frequency... if it's NOT zero beat, you'll be able to hear the offset. If
it is zero beat, it'll be hiding behind the sidetone.

I (think I) can provide a short WAV file to demonstrate if you have difficulty
following the above verbal description.

73,

Tom Hammond   N0SS