HP8640B is the generator of choice for (a) low phase noise and (b) more
or less affordable (in the $1K and less category.)

That being said, these generators are now well over 20 years old and are
notorious for mechanical problems associated with switches and tuning
gears. I would not purchase one unless you are prepared to do some work
on it. If a switch or two isn't broken when you buy it, it soon will be.
These are very complicated mechanically.

If your budget will stand it, I would purchase an HP8657B, or, as a
somewhat less desirable unit, an HP8567A. Both are synthesized signal
generators and are free of some of the problems that have been found
with  their lower price brother generator, the HP8656. The phase noise
and spurious outputs of these synthesized generators are much inferior
to the 8640B. They are, however, fully synthesized, and can be remotely
controlled over an HPIB interface, neither of which is the case for the
8640B.

I have a pair of 8640Bs and a pair of 8657A's. Both 8640B's have
mechanical problems that, fortunately, I can live with as I am not all
that good at complicated mechanical repair work.

Jack K8ZOA