Tom,

What you are missing is the ability to even conceive of the problem we
tone-deaf folks have.
Yes, we can hear the 'warble', and once detected it is easy to get the
warble rate down very close to zero. The real problem for some of us is
in getting the two tones close enough to produce that 'warble'..
I can hear two tones, and know that they are different, but my brain
cannot determine if I should increase or decrease the frequency of the
signal to get the two tones closer in pitch.

For those who share my difficulty, tools such a Spectrogram and in the
K3, the CWT indicator are valuable aids.

73,
Don W3FPR