Gary NL7Y wrote:

> I've found that with the 200Hz filter enabled in both of my receivers via
> diversity reception mode, BW set to 150 or less, that weak sigs pop out of
> my high S5 city noise floor like the best audio APF enabled rigs I've
> owned
> (many). Elecraft has a Genie of sorts helping us on CW, and no filter
> ringing that I care to mention.

"Are you sure that the 200Hz filter had anything to do with this? Maybe you
would have had
the same results with a 400 or 500 Hz filter with the DSP bandwidth at 150
or less."

Hi Vic and thanks for the thoughts. Well, this weekend during the 160
Contest, and previous to that, I tried what you and others have suggested. I
disabled via the Config menu the 200Hz, then my 500Hz, then my 2.1Hz filters
and operated at the same 150 BW described or less. The noise went up and the
S/N ratio made copying sigs more difficult. Time and again.

I live in a high noise city environment - like S9+10-15 AM mode on 160,
S7-9+5 CW/SSB with 2.7 filter on my Inv-L depending upon time of day and
nearby electrical demand. It's overall city hash, and not from one point
source like a bad powerpole. Done all I can with the local utility company.
Spent 10's of thousands on noise nullers, DSP units, and many radios until
the K3 came along to save the day for me. I also have a rotatable Wellbrook
receiving loop for the second receiver that cuts the noise 3-4 S units
compared with the Inv-L.

Anyhow, apparently by inserting the narrow 200Hz roofing filter I'm able to
reduce to a minimum the hash getting into the receiver chain. The wider the
roofing filter, the more the hash for me at least. The DSP narrows the
passband, but can't handle the QRN as well as the fixed filter in my
situation. True story, and your experience may vary in a quiet environment.

73 Gary NL7Y