Subject:        Re: [Elecraft] SHIFT pitch
Date:   Tue, 27 Jan 2009 11:06:20 -0500
From:   Don Wilhelm <w3...@embarqmail.com>
To:     W5UN <w...@wt.net>
CC:     elecraft@mailman.qth.net

I suspect that the filter gain rather than the width is the major cause
of that behavior.
Try working with the FLx GN setting in the CONFIG menu to see if you can
obtain a smoother transition.
You could expect the widest filter to have the smallest loss, so start
with the transition between FL1 and FL2 and when that seems right, move
on to the FL2 and FL2 transition, etc.

The easiest way to do this is with a broadband noise generator (such as
the Elecraft NGen) so you have a constant input to the K3 and it would
be easy to evaluate the audio level using Spectrogram or some other
audio spectrum analyzer, although a AC DMM connected across the speaker
would give decent results.

Once you have the filter gains equalized, you can easily change the
filter offsets if necessary.  While the 8 pole filter offsets are close
to zero, it is not practical to expect that  they are all exactly zero.

73,
Don W3FPR