On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 11:00:10 -0800 (PST), you wrote:

>I recently used a heavy guage cable (#8 stranded, I believe) between the K3
>and PS in a portable operation.  The extra stiffness of the cable caused a
>strain that fractured the plastic shell on the positive Power Pole connector
>in the K3.  So, I agree that some sort of strain relief is in order if
>larger/stiffer cable is used.  Perhaps the pig-tail mention earlier is a
>reasonable approach.
>
>Fortunately, I was able to replace the Power Pole plastic shells without
>disassembling the K3.  It required: 1) removing both the positive and
>negative shells using a small tool to lift the metal connector blades
>inside, 2) mating a new pair of connector, 3) scraping off a small protusion
>on the positive connector to allow the assembly to fit in the rear panel
>opening, and 4) sliding the assembly over the connector blades.  Perhaps
>this will help if someone else encounters this problem.
>
>Chuck, AE4CW

Chuck and others,

I have found that when you want larger cabling like #8 and above, the
auto supply store is the best place to get flexible cables.  The
copper in these cables is ver fine, almost like hair.

I'm feeding my two TE Systems amps (2 and 6m) with 04 battery cables
from my 100 amp supply.  The cables are not stiff.  That would be
over-kill for the K3, but these two amps draw 50 amps each at full
power, and no, I don't run both at the same time ;o)

Tom, N5GE
http://www.n5ge.com
http://www.swotrc.net

[snip]