Well of course it's a question of convenience. It's neater and more
compact to have the battery inside the K2. Also a major advantage of
the battery for me is that it weights the K2 down on the desktop so it
doesn't slide away when I push a button. However the main use it has
had is when I forgot to turn the power supply on! I like the idea of
operating /P but I dislike cold, wind and rain and that's what the
weather is like most of the time here, so I have never taken advantage
of the K2's portability. :(

Although an external battery could provide more capacity, the K2's
battery has greater capacity than the one in an FT-817 and the K2
draws much less power than an 817, especially on receive. It has more
than enough capacity for a couple of hours operating. One should just
take care not to run it down below a certain voltage, that's all.

I made no special charging arrangements for mine, just connected the
radio to a PSU adjusted to 14.2V.

Julian, G4ILO
G4ILO's Shack: www.g4ilo.com