I had a very good 'ham radio' weekend, Saturday, I had a long QSO on 80
meters with the K2 on SSB, it did great at 15 watts out!
I hooked up a half decent dynamic microphone and was told the K2 sounded
good, not ESSB but nice.

Today, I was on AM with the homebrew rig, in a large group, and was
surprised to hear someone on using a K3!
I don't know what microphone he was using but the K3 sounded very thin.
It was the first K3 I have heard on the air on any mode.

Since it was a very large group, I did not get to ask about the Microphone
and so on, but almost all the modern rigs sound better on AM than the K3
did.

On the positive side, I did not notice the audio getting into the alc like
it does on some radios, which shows up as reducing the carrier under
modulation, and the audio sounded clean.

In my book, most of the modern rigs do poorly on AM receive as far as
distortion, noise and frequency response go, limiting the low end response
to something like 200 or 100 Hz, but listen to some good AM on an old tube
receiver with push pull 6L6's, or the detector output of an R390 into a hifi
amplifier, and its a whole other thing.

What really surprises me is how good the K2 sounds on ssb receive, with an
outboard hifi speaker, listening to the essb guys.

Brett
N2DTS