James,

I am so sorry to hear about you hand problem.  I'm sure this has been a
terrible thing to deal with.

I don't know your full situation, but may I be so bold as to suggest that
perhaps you try learning to send with your other hand?  I've often thought
about doing that myself, but never followed through--at least not yet.  I'm a
leftie, and in a right handed world there are often things that just don't work
very well using your left hand.  For example, in my work I had a need to run an
adding machine, and those don't lend themselves to a left handed user.  So, I
learned, and fairly quickly, to do it with my right hand.

I suspect, in your situation, you will be forced to learn some things with your
other hand, and using a paddle might be a good therapy to develop coordination
in that opposite hand.  If you are being forced to use your left hand now (I'm
assuming you were right-handed), I can assure you that sending with the left
hand--even without changing the paddle configuration--is very doable.  It would
certainly seem frustrating at first, but I bet you could do it, and very
succesfully. There might even be very significant side benefits in helping you
deal with other tasks.

I hope this doesn't sound insensitive to your situation.  I only mean to make
this suggestion with the best of intentions.

Dave W7AQK