From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of John Huffman
Sent: Monday, February 02, 2009 10:05 AM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: [Elecraft] K3 Narrow CW Filter

I'm getting used to my new K3, but have a question.

My K3 has the 400hz 8-pole filter and the latest firmware.  I've noticed
that the difference between running the DSP filter at 100hz and 150hz is
greatly increased volume at 150hz.  With the NR on (F2-4) easy listening
at 100hz will bow your ears out at 150hz.  Is this just me?  I run AF
gain at 9 o'clock and RF gain at 12 o'clock.

I have a second question. I liked to run my Orion on CW with the AF gain
up, RF gain down, narrow filter and NR on.  That way it listening to the
other station was like listening to a code practice oscillator.  On the
K3 I still get background hiss with the noise reduction on.  Are there
better settings to use to get the sound I want with no background noise?

Thanks in advance.

73 de K1ESE
John