Roy Morris-6 wrote:

> I have downloaded the K3 Config information to MY DOCUMENTS.  I renamed
> the file K3 Config.  The file in MY DOCUMENTS was K3 Config.K3 Config.
> When I clicked on it I got the following:
>
> To open this file Windows needs to know what program created it.  Windows
> can go online to look up automatically, or you can manually select from a
> list of programs on your computer.
> What do you want to do?
> Use the web service to find the appropriate program.
> Select the program from a list.
>
> I renamed the file: K3 Config (I took the duplication away)
> I then selected XML Editor from the list
>
> The Config settings then appeared.  Please help me find a better and
> easier way to retrieve my settings.  Thanks.  Roy Morris  W4WFB

Since the only way to restore the saved configuration is by opening it in
the K3 Utility "Restore K3 Configuration From...", the fact that Windows
does not know what to do with files of this type is unimportant. The
.K3Config file type that it is given ensures that it will not be mistakenly
opened (and more disastrously, edited) by another application. Just start
the K3 Utility and open the file from there. If you change the file type to
something else when you save it, or by renaming it afterwards, it won't be
found when you try to restore it.

The saved configuration is a plain text file and it can be opened in
Notepad, in case you want to see what it looks like, but there is nothing
useful - and quite a lot of harm - you can do to it in Notepad, so this is
really not a good idea.

-----
Julian, G4ILO. K2 #392  K3 #222.
http://www.g4ilo.com/ G4ILO's Shack   http://www.ham-directory.com/ Ham