Well, within minutes of my posting about the set power (as displayed
by my newest K3) not squaring with what I was seeing on a LP-100A,
Alpha 4510 and Bird wattmeters, I received a detailed email from Gary
at Elecraft with step by step suggestions of things I should check.  I
had already done a TX gain calibration using the K3 Utility option to
automatically go through and do the 5 and 50 watt calibrations and got
a "successful" calibration message.  Gary suggested I do the WMTR LP
and HP calibration as well and to check the TXG VCE (as Julian also
suggested in his reponse to my original post).

So, I did the full TX cal via the K2 Utility cal again (although I had
done that before a couple of times).  The WMTR cal was pretty much out
of whack and needed quite an adjustment and the TXG VCE was defaulted
at 0 but needed to be adjusted to -2.5 dB.  After I did all this -- I
went back and had the K3 hooked up to my 4510 and into a high quality
1500KW dummy load with a 1.1 SWR and checked power levels from
virtually zip to 120 all within a normal accuracy of the meters and
the coax and load effects.  I double checked everything again using
the LP-100A to validate the Alpha 4510 readings.  All is good.

I love my K3s and one of the big reasons is what happened today --
Elecraft's immediate (and I do mean immediate) response with specific
things to check and do -- and a tip of the hat to this group and
Julian, specifically, who quickly responded with help.

As a member of some other radio groups from other manufacturers
(overseas), I never saw or knew of them to respond to very real and
very big problems with some models of their radios either on or off
list or group.  That is why I bought a second K3 -- not only I have
been pleased with the K3 but the customer service is beyond
expectation and nothing short of superb.  And, I thank the members of
this list whose posts I have read studiously for months before
purchasing my first K3.

73, Greg K2UM