There was a practice session for the Sprint contest on
Thursday evening. In the Sprint, one is frequently called by
several loud stations at once. I started out with fast agc,
max slope and highest threshold, but the multiple loud
callers were getting compressed together unless I
continuously rode the rf gain control.

After a while I tried agc OFF, and that method was much
better for distinguishing stations by their loudness.
However, the AF limiter, even set at max 030, was frequently
kicking in, which really distorts the audio, so I was back
to riding the rf gain again.

I think the AF Limiter should have the ability to be set
much higher than 030. Audio at level 030 is loud, but my
ears can take more than that. Maybe the current hard
limiting, with its gross distortion, could be made more
gradual. Maybe the fast agc slope and threshold could be
even steeper and higher. Otherwise, it's back to riding the
RF gain. For some reason, my TS-850 didn't exhibit this
problem. Maybe the 850's puny audio amp was self-limiting.
Whatever the reason, the 850 was a lot better in this
situation.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ