Jim, in a conversation I had with Ron, the UK distributor for SteppIR,
who also has a K3, he suggested the following fixes a problem for some.
As I don't have a SteppIR, I can't add to this:

"To use a SteppIR antenna with the K3 it may be necessary to use a
serial cable with pin 7 disconnected at the K3 end of the cable and to
set the K3 menu item PTT-KEY to OFF-OFF"

It may help someone, even if it's not a fix for your issue Jim.

73 Dave, G4AON
K3/100 #80
I should have pointed out that the specific problem I am trying to solve now
is a hard connect from K3 RS232 port to SteppIR Data In port. No Y cable,
no PC based software involved. I am not convinced that the SteppIR is
"listening".

Jim

N1NK