After a few good suggestions by Don, Jim and Fern I run a few more
tests, coming at the conclusion that the problem was not the MIC, or its
interfacing with the K3 or the radio itself.
The audio on HF bands is simply perfect, with or without compression
(and comp acts exactly as it should).
But the problem on 144 MHz is still there, so the problem must be on the
XV144. The Power supply is the same for both the radio and the xverter,
tried switching and stabilized with no differences.
I've no idea where to look......  Changing the drive power (I'm using
the KXV3 module) does'nt produce any difference as well.
Any clues?

73 de Giulio IW3HVB