Hi Bruce,

No, the 13KHz filter will be used for AM SW/MW/LW reception, not FM on the
sub.  The other FM filter on the main will only be used for 10m FM TX/RX.

Here's an excerpt from a conversation I had with another fellow regarding
the use of FM filters for AM broadcast reception:

> Just to make sure I understand you, the AM filter is only required if

> one desires to transmit in AM or use ESSB.

> Otherwise, AM reception like SW can still be piped through the 13KHz

> FM filter?

Correct, I use the FM filter for listening to AM broadcast or SWL on a
fairly regular basis.

> How does the audio of AM SW sound going through the FM filter?

> Bandwidth is obviously wider, so I'm assuming higher fidelity?

Somewhat higher fidelity.  The K3's DSP has a fairly sharp cutoff at 4200 Hz
so you will never get more than that but the FM filter allows the full 4.5
KHz where the AM filter starts to roll off at 3 KHz but still has some audio
response down the filter skirts.  I hope that someday Elecraft will "open
up" the audio in AM so we can hear 5.5 or 6 KHz which as good as it gets
these days.

Hope that helps to clarify.

73,

James KC2UEE