David,

The back emf pulse from a relay occurs when the coil circuit is opened,
and its polarity is opposite that used to operate the relay.  A properly
connected diode should 'swallow' the back emf, and a capacitor in
parallel with the coil should reduce the amplitude of the pulse.
Any delay introduced by the diode and capacitor will be on the trailing
edge and will not  normally introduce significant delay on the leading edge.

Anyone adopting this scheme would not be operating QSK, so any
additional delays introduced will not be significant.
Those desiring QSK operation should consider fast relays (vacuum relays)
or solid state switching devices for their amplifier switching.

73,
Don W3FPR