Greetings,

I'm performing initial configuration/filter loss compensation.  I have the
following filters (slot #) - BW:

(1) 13.0 kHz (FM)
(2) 2.8kHz
(3) 1.8 kHz
(4) 0.40 kHz
(5) n/a

I noticed that in the Owner's Manual, for Configuration/Filter Loss
Compensation, it suggests using 1-2 dB gain on the 0.40 kHz filter, doesn't
mention the 1.8 kHz filter. (No compensation for the others I have is needed)

In the K3 Utility Help info, same subject, it suggests 2 db for the 1.8 kHz and
7 dB for the 0.40 kHz filter, which it says Elecraft uses for the factory
assembled units.

I'm assuming that since there is a range of 0-8 dB gain defined for filter
insertion loss, overcompensating the gain on setup would not be physically
damaging to the K3, but perhaps it might not be operationally optimum.  And per
some traffic on the reflector on this, it appears what is needed is just enough
gain so as not to notice any degradation (nor unnecessary gain perhaps) when a
narrower BW filter is switched in with its associated gain compensation.

I suppose I could start low and adjust upward if it seemed to need a bit more
boost, but 1-2 dB vs. 7 dB is a bit of a difference between the Owner's Manual
and the K3 Utility guidance.  As long as I can't damage the K3 by maximizing
the settings (?), then trial-and-error might be the surest way, given
individual K3 build deviations.  Any words of wisdom appreciated on these
different suggested settings would be appreciated.  Thanks much.  73

Walter, N0DZJ