Dave,

I had a similar problem.

I hate to suggest this out of turn, because it involves pulling the front
panel, but if you're game...

Remove the front panel so you can see the three solder terminals of the RF
gain pot. Look at them closely and confirm the solder connection is good on
all three. If the connection looks bad, re solder it.

On my K3 I noticed that the center pin did not look like the solder took to
the wire. This may or may not have caused my problem, but it is worth a
looksee, and may fix your problem.

I'd be curious to know what you find.

73,
Julius