Well I'm guess I now qualify as an old timer with an analog mind that works
well unless there's too many tap dances during the feeding frenzy of a DX pile
up.  Split operation when searching to spot the QSO with the DX station can
give me a red face after I call on the DX's frequency.  Not so cool!  As a new
K3 user I find there are two paths to follow when in this mode of operation.

Split with RIT/XIT on VFO A
This approach makes it easy with only VFO A set on the DX station and spotting
by tapping RIT, finding the station working the DX, down or up, when found then
a tap on XIT button followed by an RIT button tap gets me back to the DX
station with TX split on the last QSO and ready to roll.  Sounds simple and
quick?  Not so safe!  Sometimes I find myself transmitting on the DX frequency
in the frenzy.  There are too many taps in this dance step for me and it brings
on the over zealous self appointed police with all their powers to send  .._ /
._ _.  and/or ._.. /  .. /  _..  Oh my! sorry.  The RIT/XIT combo dance is too
complicated.  I'm going to go sit down.

Split RX on VFO A, TX on VFO B  Alternative
I've decided this alternative is safer and reduces the posibility of sending cw
on the DX frequency.  Spoting the QSO before sending requires two taps on the
A/B button.  But quick taps in the Split mode may also result in sending on the
WRONG VFO or on the DX operation frequency.

Thus my first suggestion after two months with my sweet K3.  May I suggest to
the Elecraft staff that a Human engineering change be offered for the >60 yo as
a reward for being licensed over half a century.  This special feature requires
a K3 with a frequency TX inhibit feature that can be set for the DX operation
frequency before the tap dance begins.  Or should it be called "Safe Split"
rather than "Quick Split"?    Get it?  Don't get me wrong I love the radio but
I have too many quick controls <:-(

73,
John, W1QS, ex N6JL (76-08), K1KTH (59-76)