Here is a chronology of the radios I have owned.  Preference for SSB
contesting.

Yaesu FT-101 EE  - Solid radio, I worked lots of people with it.
Inexpensive starter type rig.

Icom IC-701 -First Synthesized rig.  Expensive, I still have no clue how I
managed to scrounge up the money to buy one as a teenager.  Not very
reliable.  (Not sure where in the series I owned this radio) Digital
display!  whoopee!

Kenwood TS-830 with VFO Solid rig.

Kenwood TS-930- Loved this radio.  No tune up, antenna tuner, looked nice.

Icom IC-751- 2nd radio, never really cared for this radio.

Yaesu FT-1000MP-Another one of my favorites.  Two VFO knobs, inband dual
receive.  Solid radio.

Icom 756 Pro II - Nice color display.  Too many menus for my likes and no
2nd vfo knob.  Worked fine.

Yaesu FT-DX9000 - Huge solid radio that had lots of issues from the start.
Blown finals, poor dsp, claimed to do more than it could.  Expensive.  Good
receiver.  The Microtune units really helped on the low bands in certain
conditions.

2 FT-2000's-I like these radios.  Look great.  Maybe some issues with the
roofing filters.  Easy to use.  Good rig.  2 2000's cheaper than a 9000 and
far more flexible even with DMU and microtune units.

K3- An amazing radio in small package.  Great receiver.  Will make an
awesome DXpedition radio.  The size could have been a bit bigger for my
likes.  Fairly easy radio to learn.  Lots of flexibility.  Love the built in
cq decoder and rtty decoder.  I really enjoyed building the radio.  I wish
there were more kits available.  A second K3 will be ordered very soon.
Support is 2nd to none.

Current mobile rig-  TS-480HX  200 watts in the mobile is nice.  Hot
receiver.

never get over." Ben Franklin

  _____