I have a K2, mid 5000 serial number, mic input wired for Kenwood, 50 amp 12
volt Amidon power supply, with a KPA100 running 100 watts. I can easily switch
my HM-10 mic between transceivers using seperate audio cables for each radio to
perform on air testing. When using a Heil microphone HM-10 with dual element
(HC-4 or HC-5) with Heil shielded cable and mic plug wired for Kenwood and no
external pre-amp for the K2, audio setting SSBA is at 2, and compression
setting SSBC is at 2-1, and asking other hams for a critical audio report I am
being told that I sound a little fuzzy around the edges on the K2. I am using
an Amidon type #43 toroid with seven turns of mic cable just before the mic
input to the K2. Any extra Heil mic cable is coiled up as common mode choke
about 5 inches in diameter. The distortion might be a little more with the
wider HC-5 element. The HM-10 mic works fine and gets great audio reports on a
Yaesu FT-1000D - same antennae and same
 power levels. Only when asking for an audio report does the "little
distortion" report come up. I have also applied the grounded K2 mic connector
mod.

Is this as good as it gets with the K2 audio ?

Am I asking for too much for Heil HM-10 with the K2 to sound like the Yaesu
FT-1000D ?

Does audio compression in the KSSB create a little distortion in the audio ?

Thanks

Joe - K9DMV