Others have already mentioned this as a problem and I have just tested my K3
#1198 driving an Acom 1000 amp into a dummy load with the following results.
Condx:-  3.7MHz, 25w drive to get 392w o/p on cw.
I have TXG VCE set to -1.5dB, mic 15, cmp 24.

In lsb and then key down I adjust to just under 400W o/p. Then lsb gives
200-300w initially.  After speaking and then pausing a few times for a minute
or so I get 400-600w out!!  The K3 system has turned up the gain - if I then go
to rx and then key down I get an initial o/p of about 540w which then rapidly
scales back to 400. Then speaking on lsb I'm back at the 200-300w o/p which
gradually increases again. So there's a gain change going on which seems to be
reset by a key down.

Hope this helps Elecraft or others in analysing the problem.
Graham