I was always taught the rule is . . . "finger-tight" not "wrist-tight."

The two are distinctly different.

73,

Kent  K9ZTV

Bill W4ZV wrote:

Ron D'Eau Claire wrote:
When opening the K3, sometimes you will find that a  screw, particularly
one
of the countersunk case screws, that seems to have gotten tighter on its
own. That is usually because tightening the other screws holding that
panel
shifted it just enough to bind on one of the screws you already tightened.
When you encounter a screw that seems too tight, first try to loosen the
other screws holding the panel or assembly. Normally you'll find that the
"tight" screw has loosened up after you loosen some of the others. There
are
notes about that in the current assembly manuals.

I have a bad habit of over-tightening screws!  If you ever do this and/or
strip the slots in a screw, loosen all the other screws as above (hopefully
you don't have more than one!) and then slightly rotate the panel itself
counter-clockwise.  In every case where I've had a screw stuck that I
couldn't start with a screwdriver, this loosened it enough to allow removal. I'm trying to be especially careful now but I like to snug my screws for RF
purposes (especially the one by the handle toward the front panel).  Since
I've now built 3 units I have a supply of spare countersunk case screws that
seem especially prone to "camming-out" by a heavy hand so I always replace
the stripped screws.

73,  Bill