James,

What rev of firmware are you using?  I went through test on all of
them I could with the subreceiver, which I didn't install until 2.72
was current.  I can't duplicate your results with 2.82.  It may not be
a firmware-related issue (or issues).

In the first problem statement, it sounds like you have the VFO's
linked.  Are you also in DIVRSTY or not?

As I understand it, the spectrum covered is carved up into band
sections, each allowing the VCO control voltage to traverse a good
part of its control range.  Very few (if any?) of these breaks is
within a ham band.  The behavior you described at 5997 could be tied
to the down-tune break at that freq.  The up-tune break is 5 KHz or so
higher.  You might want to see if you can repeat this tuning up as
well.  I can't duplicate this problem here with 2.82.  If there is a
real bug here in the FW rev you're using, it *ought* to affect tuning
in both directions.

For your second problem statement, the following may apply.  There is
a chirp radar between 5184 and 5212 KHz (approx).  The chirp goes
through the passband pretty quickly, maybe within 150-200 mS and the
rep rate is a little under one second.  It's a wideband signal, and
you may be hearing it as a zipper-like noise.  You didn't say whether
or not you heard it as a repeated or continuous signal, so I can't be
sure this is what you're describing.

73,
matt zilmer, W6NIA