I am a doubter and avid contester. I've had zero negative comments about my
keying using simply a serial cable from a COM port direct to the K3 RS232
port.

That's 8000 plus CW QSOs and who knows how many unanswered CQs and wing and
a prayer repeats over the past year.

Win2K and N1MM mostly, some XP with a laptop (yes one blessed with a real
serial port).

Yes, I have three K1EL keyers, but only use the USB keyer with the K2.

YMMV, but I'm a happy camper on CW with a very simple no interface setup
with my K3.

73,
Julius
n2wn

R. Kevin Stover wrote:

> Everybody should be using a Winkey to key CW.
>
> Some people will deny that keying directly from an serial port
> controlled by windows causes keying errors. When we ran DOS, the
> applications could have unfettered access to the ports. You could also
> easily harness the system clock and use it rather than the OS to supply
> the timing for CW.  It was easy to background a process like sending CW
> knowing you had control of the port when you needed it. Not so with
> Windows98 and up. XP is especially bad.
>
> Ever had an application or the OS grab a hold of a USB, serial or
> parallel port and not let go when the application or process terminated?
> It never happened in DOS.
>
> One question for the doubters. If a winkey like device isn't necessary
> to send properly timed CW, why do several hardware manufacturers, Micro
> Ham, US Interface, Rig Expert, and nearly all general and contest
> logging applications support it? Just to make K1EL rich?
>
> W0MU Mike Fatchett wrote:
>> N1MM users have had similar issues.  I don't know if AB7R's fix works but
>> many have just gone to a Winkey keyer as a solution.  I have one built
>> into
>> my SO2R MK2R+ Microham devices so I have never seen this issue.
>>

>> "A slip of the foot you may soon recover, but a slip of the tongue you
>> may
>> never get over." Ben Franklin
>
> --
> R. Kevin Stover, ACØH