Tom,

I would say that you have some problem with that K2 - unless you have a
very poor antenna.

I would suggest that you first try the "Cheap and Dirty Signal Tracing"
methods that you can download from the Builder's Resource page at the
Elecraft website.

If that does not produce an answer that identifies the failing stage of
the receiver, then you should go to the "Receiver Signal Tracing"
section in the back of the K2 manual - build the oscillator and use the
RF Probe (the parts for an RF Probe were included with your K2 kit).

Once you have identified the stage that is failing, if you cannot
determine the failing component, give us the information about the
failing stage and we can help you isolate the problem source.

73,
Don W3FPR